We are proud to be the first liveaboard in the world to offer ocean going Wi-Fi access for our guests. Please note that while this is a top-of-the-line and very expensive stabilized gyro satellite system, there are limitations. The Wi-Fi connection is likely much slower than you are used to and it is not like using broadband onshore, because the gyro stabilized antennas have to track a very narrow aiming point on the satellite while in open ocean.
Wi-Fi is available for a flat fee of $100 US per device for the entirety of the trip.
You will have unrestricted and unlimited access. The Wi-Fi is good for emails and applications like WhatsApp. It is not good for Facebook, YouTube or streaming functions.
Helpful hints & tricks for getting the best wifi service onboard:
- When you are not using your device, please ensure the device is on Airplane or Flight mode. This will ensure that any unintentional background data-use does not affect other guests’ onboard WiFi experience.
- If you are on a cell phone or tablet, background app refresh or equivalent must be turned off. Many people are not aware that their phone is constantly using data without their express consent, even those on a restricted data plan. Turning background refresh off does not affect the operation of apps in any way except that the data is only downloaded when the app is opened.
- For guests with laptops, set windows update to “never update“. Even “Ask me before updating” can take up data. We recommend you change your settings back to normal after your trip. The important thing is that your computer is not using data that you are unaware of.
- Please note that cloud storage services such as: Dropbox, iCloud, OneDrive, Amazon, or Google Drive may continue to use data behind the scenes. Please disable your cloud storage to ensure the best possible onboard wifi experience.
- If you are still having problems or are dissatisfied with the download speed, please let the captain know and they will do everything they can to assist you.